Vernon Hills (Chicago), ILCanon Medical Research USA, Inc. (CMRU) is a multi-modality R&D organization creating next-generation medical imaging systems. It is equipped with cutting-edge instrumentation, prototyping, hardware labs and scientific computing facilities in order to perform research targeted to pre-clinical and clinical CT, PET, MRI, and X-ray systems. For those who like to develop new technologies and research new ways of using them, Canon is a rewarding place to work, due to its focus on innovation as the lifeblood of new products.
CMRU is committed to recognizing and appreciating the variety of characteristics that make individuals unique in an atmosphere that promotes work/life balance and celebrates individual and collective achievement. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their experience, education, research and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of our organization and the scientific and engineering community at large.
CMRU offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation and benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
SUMMARY OF POSITIONCMRU has an immediate opening for an X-ray Imaging Scientist to participate in addressing problems related to interventional and diagnostic X-ray imaging systems.
- Develop advanced analytical and AI-based image processing algorithms to improve X-ray image quality.
- Evaluate and develop advanced reconstruction algorithms, including analytical, statistical and machine learning methods.
- Model the physics process between X-ray and matter in the X-ray imaging system.
- Develop and validate advanced X-ray imaging correction algorithms, such as scatter correction etc.
- Evaluate X-ray imaging system performance and perform quantitative image assessment.
- Collaborate with academic and industrial partners in various research projects.
- Contribute to corporate intellectual property portfolio.
- A Ph.D. or equivalent in Physics, Electronics Engineering, Medical Physics, Biomedical Engineering, or a related field in STEM.
- Working experience on X-ray imaging or other similar instrument development environment is desired; academic or research settings will be considered as well.
Key CompetenciesMathematical/Physics Skills
- Understanding of X-ray generation, detection and interaction with matter
- Understanding of the X-ray image formation process, including corrections and various techniques to manage noise and spatial resolution
- Understanding of analytical reconstruction algorithms
- Basic comprehension of deep learning is a plus
- Ability to define problems, collect data, analyze data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions
- Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form and deal with several abstract and concrete variables
- Proficient in programming using Python, C/C++, MATLAB, etc.
- Experience with Linux/Unix system
- Experience with GPU programming, such as CUDA C, is a plus
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret common scientific and technical journals
- Ability to write presentations and articles for publication that conform to prescribed style and format
- Ability to effectively present information to supervisor, groups, and/or senior management
- Some domestic and international travel may be required up to 10% of the time