Vernon Hills, Illinois
Canon Medical Research USA, Inc. (CMRU) is a multi-modality R&D organization creating next-generation medical imaging systems. For those who like to develop new technologies and research new ways of using them, Canon is a rewarding place to work, due to its focus on innovation as the lifeblood of new products.
CMRU is committed to recognizing and appreciating the variety of characteristics that make individuals unique in an atmosphere that promotes work/life balance and celebrates individual and collective achievement. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their experience, education, research and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of our organization and the scientific and engineering community at large.
CMRU offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation and benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
- Develops digital FPGA logic solutions targeting applications such as system communications/control, data movement and processing, and embedded microprocessors.
- Oversees and participates in the engineering life cycle of FPGA products including requirements, architecture, design, implementation, verification, integration, and debug following appropriate engineering best practices and department processes.
- Guides and supports other FPGA engineers in implementing the architecture as defined, and helps monitor the proper application of best practices and department processes on designs which they are leading.
- Prepares design documentation and participates-in design reviews.
- Participates in project analysis and planning efforts and provides timely status input to engineering management.
- Proactively participates in FPGA department process improvement by taking part in internal discussions, providing experiential input and feedback, and exploring and sharing information about new related industry concepts and tools.
- May develop system architecture concepts and design documentation for complex multi-custom hardware component systems.
- A Bachelor’s of Science (or above) in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering with 8+ years of relevant experience. Or more than 10 years of related experience and/or training, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Background including:
- Complex digital FPGA architecture and design for embedded systems
- High bandwidth data communications, storage, and manipulation in an FPGA
- Writing and reviewing documentation including requirements, design, verification, and interface guides (e.g. User, Software)
- Hardware/Software integration and lab debug using common equipment including internal FPGA logic analyzer tools (e.g. Vivado Logic Analyzer)
- Working within or leading a small team of developers in a coordinated and efficient manner to deliver high quality and timely product
- Communicating and coordinating across engineering functional teams to achieve project goals
- Supporting and providing input to project planning and management including work breakdown, estimates and task status
- Experience with system requirements analysis and Hardware/FPGA/Software breakdown, and low-level system architecture design preferred
- Proficiency with:
- HDL coding (e.g. VHDL, Verilog, etc.) for FPGA development and simulation
- HDL design and coding best practices for purpose (e.g. resource use, clock-rate, latency)
- FPGA design tools, simulation tools (e.g. Xilinx Vivado, Mentor QuestaSim)
- Source control tools (e.g. Subversion, ClearCase)
- Standard office software (e.g. MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Is accurate, thorough and monitors own work quality; constantly looking for ways to improve and promote quality
- Quickly adapts to changes in priority, approach or method to best fit the situation; manages competing demands; deals well with delays or unexpected events
- Ability to lead small teams effectively and coordinate their effort
- Effectively presents information to a variety of people, including senior management and peers on project teams; ability to translate complex ideas into easy to understand explanation
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication (verbal, written, listening) and time/task management skills
- Is tactful and professional; treats others with respect and consideration
- Ability to complete occasional domestic or international travel is required.
- The position is at the Canon Medical Research USA, Inc. headquarters in Vernon Hills, IL, USA. Vernon Hills is a suburb located about 35 miles northwest of Chicago.