Vernon Hills (Chicago), IllinoisCanon Medical Research USA, Inc. (CMRU) is a multi-modality R&D organization creating next-generation medical imaging systems. It is equipped with cutting-edge instrumentation, prototyping, hardware labs and scientific computing facilities in order to perform research targeted to pre-clinical and clinical CT, PET, MRI, and X-ray systems. For those who like to develop new technologies and research new ways of using them, Canon is a rewarding place to work, due to its focus on innovation as the lifeblood of new products.
CMRU is committed to recognizing and appreciating the variety of characteristics that make individuals unique in an atmosphere that promotes work/life balance and celebrates individual and collective achievement. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their experience, education, research and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of our organization and the scientific and engineering community at large.
CMRU offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation and benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
SUMMARY OF POSITIONThe Principal Mechanical Engineer will evaluate, select or adapt mechanical engineering principles and techniques to develop Canon Medical imaging systems. The successful candidate will resolve complex and challenging problems inherent in product development throughout the development lifecycle from conception to commercialization. This position works within a collaborative, cross-functional team environment; and, are recognized as technical experts within their field by peers and other groups.
- Designs solutions to complex problems through application or modification of standard technical principles and best practices.
- Capable of taking high level direction to plan and execute mechanical engineering projects in support of larger systems development. Activities may include: project costing, estimation and scheduling; recommending production methods; and, collaboration with other engineering groups and vendors.
- Work to help formulate and recommend engineering policies and technical work.
- Prioritize activities according to current business and project needs.
- Capable of creating and presenting technical proposals, project plans, or project status independently.
- Committed to continual improvement assessing products and past projects, making recommendations for improvement and supporting their deployment.
- B.S. degree in Mechanical Engineering from an ABET accredited institution and 12+ years of relevant experience. An M.S. in Engineering is preferred.
- Has a comprehensive understanding of the theories and practices utilized by mechanical engineering and related disciplines to develop new or enhanced products and/or manufacturing processes.
- Expertise applying engineering methodologies and tools, such as designed experiments, Creo/Pro Engineer, FMEA, Finite Element Analysis, Tolerance Analysis, Design of Experiments and Design of Production.
- Comfortable working independently, as part of a cross-functional team, or supervising the technical efforts of others.
- Complex mechanism design including jigs, fixtures, brackets, assemblies and other apparatuses
- Sensor/transducer development and integration
- Thermal management of electro-mechanical systems
- Strong understanding of and adherence to mechanical engineering design processes including design verification and transfer to production, peer discipline design review, specification development for medical system or sub-system and design for reliability and for production
- Proven CAD proficiency is required, along with significant experience in Pro Engineer/Creo.
- Technical skills highly desired and a significant plus:
- Medical device design and design control(s)
- Thermal Simulation
- Computer controlled device design (i.e., robot, feedback control)
- GD & T
- 3D printing
- Assembly methods and best practices
- Design for serviceability
- Technician, machine shop and assembly oversight and manufacturing guidance
- Skilled organizer, results-oriented, and excels in team collaboration
- Proven ability to be a proactive, productive, and flexible team member
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills especially across disciplines
- Ability to complete domestic and international travel (10% of time)