Cleveland (Mayfield Village), Ohio
Canon Medical Research USA, Inc. (CMRU) is a multi-modality R&D organization creating next-generation medical imaging systems. For those who like to develop new technologies and research new ways of using them, Canon is a rewarding place to work, due to its focus on innovation as the lifeblood of new products.
CMRU is committed to recognizing and appreciating the variety of characteristics that make individuals unique in an atmosphere that promotes work/life balance and celebrates individual and collective achievement. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their experience, education, research and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of our organization and the scientific and engineering community at large.
CMRU offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation and benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
Summary of Position
CMRU has an immediate opening for a Research Scientist in our Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) business unit located in Mayfield Village, an eastern suburb of Cleveland, Ohio.
The Research Scientist will research, design, prototype, and productize new MRI technologies for Canon Medical MRI scanners. A key role for this scientist will be working in small teams to develop acquisition and reconstruction software to support clinical MR methods.
- Develop pulse sequences and/or reconstruction algorithms
- Research and innovate novel methods and technologies for MR clinical applications including acquisition and/or reconstruction
- Generate intellectual property (patents and/or publications)
- Research technical and clinical trends in the industrial and medical communities in order to develop future product strategy
- Work on multi-disciplinary teams to translate customer needs into feature requirements
- Create requirements, design, and test specification documents
- Provide occasional support for clinical research colleagues, applications specialists, customers, and other users of Canon Medical MR scanners
- Ph.D. in biomedical engineering, electrical engineering, medical physics, or equivalent; or 5-10+ years related experience
- Strong understanding and demonstrated application of MR physics
- Strong C++ programming and debugging skills with knowledge of object-oriented principles
- Significant experience in MR pulse sequence design, MR reconstruction algorithms, and/or machine learning applications
- Experience in MR scanner operation including phantoms and humans
- Relevant patents and/or peer-reviewed publications
- Proven ability to be a proactive, productive, and flexible team member
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Results-oriented and driven by innovation and creativity
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, especially cross-discipline
- Engineering experience, including software development
- Formal training in computer programming
- Working familiarity with, e.g., DICOM, raw data manipulation, Matlab, IDL, python, Gadgetron, BART, or other medical image prototyping platforms
- Experience in machine learning development and application to MR problems
- Experience working in industry
- Ability to complete domestic and international travel (10% of time)