Vernon Hills, ILCanon Medical Research USA, Inc. (CMRU) is a multi-modality R&D organization creating next-generation medical imaging systems. For those who like to develop new technologies and research new ways of using them, Canon is a rewarding place to work, due to its focus on innovation as the lifeblood of new products.
CMRU is committed to recognizing and appreciating the variety of characteristics that make individuals unique in an atmosphere that promotes work/life balance and celebrates individual and collective achievement. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their experience, education, research and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of our organization and the scientific and engineering community at large.
CMRU offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation and benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
SUMMARY OF POSITIONThe Senior FPGA Engineer is responsible for most aspects of FPGA development, ranging from requirements analysis and FPGA architecture down to integration and debug. Specific role varies by project assignment.
- Develops digital FPGA logic solutions targeting applications such as system communications/control, data movement and processing, and embedded microprocessors.
- Participates in the engineering life cycle of FPGA products including requirements, architecture, design, implementation, verification, integration, and debug following appropriate engineering best practices and department processes.
- Prepares design documentation and participates-in design reviews.
- Provides input for project analysis and planning efforts and provides timely status input to engineering management.
- A Bachelor’s of Science (Master’s or Ph.D.) in Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering with 5+ years of relevant experience.
- Background including:
- Digital FPGA architecture and design for embedded systems
- High bandwidth data communications, storage, and manipulation in an FPGA
- Writing and reviewing documentation including requirements, design, verification, and interface guides (e.g. User, Software)
- Hardware/Software integration and lab debug using common equipment including internal FPGA logic analyzer tools (e.g. Vivado Logic Analyzer)
- Communicating and coordinating across engineering functional teams to achieve project goals
- Proficiency with:
- HDL coding (e.g. VHDL, Verilog, etc.) for FPGA development and simulation
- HDL design and coding best practices for purpose (e.g. resource use, clock-rate, latency)
- FPGA design tools, simulation tools (e.g. Xilinx Vivado, Mentor QuestaSim)
- Source control tools (e.g. Subversion, ClearCase)
- Standard office software (e.g. MS Word, Excel, etc.)
- Generates creative solutions; welcomes feedback to modify and improve designs
- Is accurate, thorough and monitors own work quality; constantly looking for ways to improve and promote quality
- Quickly adapts to changes in priority, approach or method to best fit the situation; manages competing demands; deals well with delays or unexpected events
- Effectively presents information to a variety of people, including senior management and peers on project teams; ability to translate complex ideas into easy to understand explanation
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills
- Strong communication (verbal, written, listening) and time/task management skills
- Is tactful and professional; treats others with respect and consideration
- The position is at the Canon Medical Research USA, Inc. headquarters in Vernon Hills, IL, USA. Vernon Hills is a suburb located about 35 miles northwest of Chicago.