Cleveland (Mayfield Village), OhioCanon Medical Research USA, Inc. (CMRU) is a multi-modality R&D organization creating next-generation medical imaging systems. For those who like to develop new technologies and research new ways of using them, Canon is a rewarding place to work, due to its focus on innovation as the lifeblood of new products. CMRU is committed to recognizing and appreciating the variety of characteristics that make individuals unique in an atmosphere that promotes work/life balance and celebrates individual and collective achievement. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their experience, education, research and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of our organization and the scientific and engineering community at large. CMRU offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation and benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
SUMMARY OF POSITIONCMRU has an immediate opening for a Senior Systems Engineer in our Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) business unit. This engineer will develop MR systems and components. Primarily, this position leads the design and development of MR scanners.
- Defines the architectural design of the MR systems, both hardware and software with the cross-functional global design team.
- Translates the clinical and marketing input into technical requirements interacting with various sources of internal departments and external organizations.
- With the input of engineering product managers, directs the creation of system requirements and specifications analyzing the clinical and marketing requirements and considering various contacts such as time resource and cost.
- Directs the optimization of the design trade-offs for performance, cost development time and other appropriate considerations in the product line. Defines the best way to implement requirements and an optimum level of re-use in the systems.
- Directs the design of system verification methods for the integration of developed features and functionalities.
- Creates system architecture documentation and testing procedures.
- Contributes to the peer-reviewed scientific literature and corporate intellectual property portfolio.
- Maintain and extends necessary knowledge and skills of technology trends, system development, etc.
- Mentors co-workers, scientists and engineers in multiple areas of expertise and/or advanced knowledge.
- Ph.D. in the relevant area of specialization (Physics, Electrical Engineering, Biomedical Engineering)
- 9+ years related work experience in several areas of specialization applicable to wide range of problems in MR, physics, etc.
- Professional experience in MR product development including basic knowledge of medical device quality management systems. Multiple vendor system-level experience a plus.
- Profound knowledge in MR physics and technology.
- Practical experience in:
- MR system hardware and software development projects.
- Designing experiments to characterize system performance.
- Developing medical devices along standards, regulations and quality management systems. Excellent written and oral communication skills, as well as demonstrating initiative and teamwork in the multi-organizational team.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, patents, safety rules, and operating and maintenance instructions.
- Ability to write routine reports and correspondence.
- Effectively present information to and answer questions from colleagues, managers, cross-functional technical groups and senior management.
- Ability to complete domestic and international travel (up to 10% of time)