Vernon Hills, IL
Canon Medical Research USA, Inc. (CMRU) is a multi-modality R&D organization creating next-generation medical imaging systems. For those who like to develop new technologies and research new ways of using them, CMRU is a rewarding place to work, due to its focus on innovation as the lifeblood of new products.
CMRU is committed to recognizing and appreciating the variety of characteristics that make individuals unique in an atmosphere that promotes work/life balance and celebrates individual and collective achievement. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their experience, education, research and/or service, to the diversity and excellence of our organization and the scientific and engineering community at large.
CMRU offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation and benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
Summary of Position
CMRU has an immediate opening for someone interested in a six- to nine-month intern position in our XR modality located in Vernon Hills, a northern suburb of Chicago, IL.
We believe that learners often learn best through active engagement in meaningful activities, and we believe this is a great opportunity for someone to engage in those activities.
The intern will develop system-software prototypes to help CMRU build next generation products. They will be responsible for the design and implementation of all assignments. These include but are not limited to:
- Creation of real-time graphics applications.
- Creation of system-performance benchmarks.
- Candidates should be highly motivated to pursue a career as a software-developer/software-engineer (they like to build things).
- While candidates will be working as part of a close-knit team, they must be able to pursue assignments independently.
- Candidates are required to possess solid experience developing system software in either a commercial or an academic setting.
- They should be familiar with popular tool chains, accepted software engineering practices and fluent in C++/C.
- A Computer Science or Software Engineering background is preferred.
Past experience with any of the following areas / technologies—by priority—is a strong plus:
- Developing real-time graphics applications with OpenGL, DirectX, or Vulkan
- Real-time embedded programming
- Network programming
- Distributed systems
- The ideal candidate is a Junior, Senior or Graduate student currently working towards a degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or related field at a four-year accredited college or university, but candidates with related backgrounds or exceptional experience should apply.
- Proven ability to work and interact comfortably in a team culture with internal customers of various levels of technical aptitude.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Must be highly organized and detail-oriented.
This is a full-time, temporary position that requires a commitment of:
- 6–9 months in an intern relationship.
- 37.5 hours per week, Monday–Friday onsite during regular business hours. A somewhat modified/reduced schedule may be possible.