Vernon Hills (Chicago), IllinoisCanon Medical Research USA, Inc. (CMRU) is a multi-modality R&D organization creating nextgeneration medical imaging systems. It is equipped with cutting-edge instrumentation, prototyping, hardware labs and scientific computing facilities in order to perform research targeted to pre-clinical and clinical CT, PET, MRI, X-ray and Ultrasound systems. For those who like to develop new technologies and research new ways of using them, Canon is a rewarding place to work, due to its focus on innovation as the lifeblood of new products.
CMRU is committed to recognizing and appreciating the variety of characteristics that make individuals unique in an atmosphere that promotes work/life balance and celebrates individual and collective achievement. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their experience, education, research and/or service, to the excellence and diversity of our organization and the healthcare community at large.
CMRU offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation and benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
SUMMARY OF POSITIONCMRU has an immediate opening for either an entry-level or senior-level Software Engineer in our PET business unit. The successful candidate will work closely with architects, algorithm scientists and other developers to conceive, prototype and implement new, high-quality embedded software for large medical devices such as software architectures, components and image processing algorithms, with participation in the full system development lifecycle. Candidates must be comfortable working in both embedded and non-embedded environments, and experience working on medical devices or other mission critical applications is valued.
- Collaborate with project technical leads and other hardware engineering groups to develop medical imaging.
- Take responsibility for the entire software development lifecycle for assigned software prototypes and components, including definition of technical requirements critical to quality, software design, software construction, and software verification and validation.
- Follow and update existing software development processes. Contribute to testing and automation.
- B.S. or M.S. in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Physics, Mathematics, or related STEM field, including 1-3+ years of relevant experience for the entry-level candidate or 5+ years of relevant experience for the senior-level candidate.
- Understanding of computer architecture principles and embedded systems design with preemptive, multitasking, real-time operating systems.
- Familiarity with software configuration management tools, defect tracking tools, and peer review.
- Understanding of programming for Real-Time Operating Systems (RTOS).
- Ability to write software for multi-threaded and/or multi-processing environments, including parallel processing.
- Experience in mathematics and scientific algorithm implementation and optimization.
- Education and/or experience with image processing techniques a plus.
- Knowledge or experience in GPU programming experience will be helpful.
- Must be able to clearly and concisely communicate technical concepts, designs and issues to other engineers in the same or different disciplines.
- Demonstrated ability to plan and prioritize work; and estimate its effort.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Proven ability to be a self-motivated, proactive, productive, and flexible team member.
- Demonstrated to be straightforward, approachable, and easy to work with.
- Demonstrated flexibility accepting some variation in role and assignments.
- The primary place of employment will be the company’s home office located in Vernon Hills (Chicago), IL. We will accommodate a hybrid work model that allows the candidate to work a combination of some days in the office and some days from home.
- Ability to complete only occasional travel.