Vernon Hills (Chicago), ILCanon Medical Research USA, Inc. (CMRU) is a multi-modality R&D organization creating next-generation medical imaging systems. It is equipped with cutting-edge instrumentation, prototyping, hardware labs and scientific computing facilities in order to perform research targeted to pre-clinical and clinical CT, PET, MRI, X-ray and Ultrasound systems. For those who like to develop new technologies and research new ways of using them, Canon is a rewarding place to work, due to its focus on innovation as the lifeblood of new products.
CMRU is committed to recognizing and appreciating the variety of characteristics that make individuals unique in an atmosphere that promotes work/life balance and celebrates individual and collective achievement. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute, through their experience, education, research and/or service, to the excellence and diversity of our organization and to the healthcare community at large.
CMRU offers a great work environment, professional development, challenging careers, and competitive compensation and benefits. We are an equal opportunity employer (EOE).
SUMMARY OF POSITIONCMRU has an immediate opening for a Senior Hardware Engineer to work alongside our Scientists and Software Engineers. This engineering position is tasked with working independently on the design, development and support of moderate to complex electronic hardware for deployment on printed circuit boards (PCBs) in the medical imaging equipment space.
- Perform circuit design, sub-system, board level design and design realization activities including schematic capture.
- Collaborate with PCB designers on the implementation of PCB layouts; providing oversight, guidance collaboration, design constraint of most any design.
- Perform hardware testing and characterization on circuits and system level performance, defect identification/isolation along with appropriate solutions recommendations.
- Participate in all aspects of the engineering life cycle of printed circuit board (PCB) hardware products, including design, implementation, verification and sustaining activities.
- Follow established processes, engage in process refinement and new process development.
- Provide design realization and planning estimates involving technical considerations such as real-estate planning, power budgets, design architecture and specifications as well as logistical support; e.g., costs, schedules and resources.
- Responsible for external supplier(s) and fabrication support and interdisciplinary peer collaboration.
- Author technical documents, specifications, design and test specifications, requirements, reports and diagrams as required for development efforts.
- Provide oversight, guidance and direction to junior engineers and technicians regarding design, testing and best practices.
- HDL coding experience
- Minimum: Bachelors of Science degree in Electrical Engineering from a four-year ABET accredited college or university.
- Accumulated related hardware development experience through 7+ years of experience and training.
- Board and circuit level design.
- Analog and digital design proficiency and simulation skills.
- Designing with multiple integrated power converter circuits and complex PDN architectures.
- FPGA board and code design.
- High-speed serial data circuit design.
- Designing with PLL and clocking circuits.
- Designing with standard serial data protocols.
- Digital logic design and familiarity with multiple logic families.
- Competency operating sophisticated lab testing equipment.
- Cadence experience, SW skills and ME acumen a plus.
- This position is based in CMRU’s main office in Vernon Hills (Chicago), Illinois.
- A hybrid work schedule will allow the ideal candidate the flexibility to work from home on some days and from the office on other days based on the needs of the projects and business requirements.
- Ability to complete domestic and international travel up to 10% of time.